6/17/2023

"I Saw Jesus in You" by Ron Hamilton - Mr. P. Sings Stuff - Ep. 06


Father's Day is upon us and I am once again reminded of the burden a Father has to lead and set an example for His family. This is no simple task, nor is it one to be taken lightly. Yet, there are numerous families that have no Father figure to lead by example or play a significant role in the lives of their children. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to have our Father's present may or may not have always had the best relationship with them, but we definitely learned from them one way or the other even if that lesson was simply how not to be a good father.

Fortunately, in me and my brother's case, our Father was definitely present, active, and did his best to guide and direct us in life even if we didn't always agree with his opinion or how he handled it. Incidentally, even he doesn't agree with how he handled certain things so I'm glad we're all on the same page on that one, finally. However, even with the disagreements and butting of heads, neither one of us ever doubted his sincerity to do what he believed was the right thing to do. As a father myself, I have a much better understanding of what this is like, and I also fully realize that about 99% you second-guess yourself after doing just about anything when it comes to discipline. Was I too rash? Did I go overboard with the punishment? Did I really listen to my kid and did I have all the facts? Did my child really understand what he did wrong? Are my expectations too high for the ages of my kids? Am I expecting a level of understanding the kids just don't have at that age? On and on the list of questions goes. Yet, no matter how many times we may question ourselves, we should always examine ourselves to make sure it was done for the right reasons based on what we knew at the time. For a Christian father, the burden becomes even greater because we have to constantly assess whether or not what we have done has properly emulated the example of Christ. Even if we did everything right, if we didn't do it with a demonstration of the love of Christ, then it was meaningless. As Paul wrote to Corinth:

If I speak with the tongues of mankind and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. And if I give away all my possessions to charity, and if I surrender my body so that I may glory, but do not have love, it does me no good. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3 NASB2020)

This passage is certainly true for all believers, but as a father, I feel this hit a bit more close to home since it has a direct impact on how my kids learn to behave. Have I been setting a good example for my own son? Does my son understand what it means to model Godly behavior as a man. Now, to be frank, I'm not convinced my son is even a Christian yet. Sure, he's been raised in a Christian milieu, but that's not the same thing as having embraced it on your own and having your own personal relationship with Christ. As someone once said, "a cat can give birth to kittens in an oven, that don't make 'em biscuits." So really, the question I have to ask myself is, is my behavior demonstrating anything to my son that would make him ever want to be saved?

Did I mention there is a lot of pressure on fathers? Huh. I probably should have mentioned it at some point. I'm sure if it becomes necessary I'll bring it up.

Now, the good thing is that, as Christians, we don't have to wonder what a proper relationship looks like. The life of Christ is a perfect example of reliance and dependence and obedience to the Father. If we wish to know how to set the example for our children, the objective is pretty clear:

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma. (Ephesians 5:1-2 NASB2020)

This is obviously much more difficult in practice than on paper. I constantly fail in this area and am well aware of the numerous shortcomings I have. Yet, the goal should always be to fulfill this command. We see the same thing again in Hebrews 12:

Therefore, since we also have such a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let’s rid ourselves of every obstacle and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let’s run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking only at Jesus, the originator and perfecter of the faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. (Hebrews 12:1-3 NASB2020)

What was the consequence of Christ living such a perfect life in obedience to the Father? Well, Philippians 2 tells us very clearly:

For this reason also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:9-11 NASB2020)

This sort of glory is unique to Christ as a member of the Trinity. Even if we live the rest of our lives in perfect obedience, we will never be exalted in this way. What then do we have to look forward to if we submit ourselves to Christ and His Lordship? Matthew 25:14-29 provides the parable of the talents (a weight of currency equivalent to roughly 6000 days or almost 16.5 years worth of wages). A master had three slaves that he entrusted with a vast amount of wealth. When he returned, only two of the slaves had done something with the money and given their master a return on his investment. The other did not. I'll let you read the passage for yourself, but it doesn't end well for the third slave. However, the other two are told the same thing because of their faithfulness.

His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter the joy of your master.’ (Matthew 25:21 & 23 NASB2020)

Their obedience resulted in joy and blessings. As Christians, we understand this to be a reference to entering into eternity and experiencing the joy and blessings of not only being in the presence of God for eternity but the unbroken and perfect fellowship we will have with all believers throughout history. As daunting as living the Christian life can be, and as almost overwhelming as it may feel to have to model that to children as a Father, we know that if we are faithful, we will be rewarded by our Father in Heaven when the time comes.

As much as we long for the time when someone, especially our children, come to us and tell us that they saw Christ in us and that was what led them to faith, how much more should we long to have our Heavenly Father tell us that not only were we good and faithful, but that the evidence of that faithfulness was because even He saw Christ evident in our lives?

Anyway, happy Father's day to all of you who are, you know, fathers, and especially to my own father who I know always did his best for me and my brother to see Christ in him just as my grandfather did before. You have carried on a great legacy within our family, and I can only hope that I set the same sort of example for my kids as well. Happy Father's Day dad and thank you for doing your best for us to see Jesus in you.

2 comments:

  1. Well said buddy. We all hope to be the godliest dad we can.

    ReplyDelete

Silent Hill 2 Remake is Woke!": Gamers Flip out Again due to Lack of Balance and Objectivity - Mr. P Talks about Stuff Ep. 01

  Nothing aggravates me more than seeing people on my side misrepresent or exaggerate their position for clicks. Even worse is when the luna...