12/09/2023

Sea of Stars: The Indie RPG Where the Stars Aligned!...Almost - Mr. P Reviews Stuff - Ep. 10


 As you all know, I am incredibly punctual and timely with many of my reviews and not at all a procrastinator. Sea of Stars came out just...okay so it was three months ago and won indie game of the year. I'm not here to say that it doesn't deserve that accolade, but just how good of a game is it?

The combat is pretty solid though I did feel it starting to wear on me by the end of the game, the soundtrack is decent and is better than I remember it being which is mentioned in the video. Veteran video game composer Yasunori Mitsuda helped compose some of the tracks for this game which is appropriate considering how much the game borrows from Chrono Trigger (something that becomes very apparent in late game areas and enemy designs) and Super Mario RPG. The story is generally good but has some questionable decisions that I wasn't a fan of. I'm not saying they don't work as part of the overall narrative, but that doesn't make me not raise an eyebrow. After all, why would you choose to do something that essentially undercuts another goal you're trying to accomplish? Then again, maybe another playthrough will clear this up for me because I may have been misinterpreting some things.

Generally speaking, I was happy with the game despite some of its flaws. Perhaps one of the biggest flaws was that it doesn't quite live up to the standards and reputations of the games that it was inspired by. Then again, perhaps that's my own nostalgia and love for these games that has tainted my perception of Sea of Stars. In all honesty, it's probably better than I'm giving it credit for, and perhaps another playthrough will help me to adjust my perspective. Who know. Is it worth playing? Absolutely.

For my full thoughts on the game, watch the video above.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Silent Hill 2 Remake is Woke!": Gamers Flip out Again due to Lack of Balance and Objectivity - Mr. P Talks about Stuff Ep. 01

  Nothing aggravates me more than seeing people on my side misrepresent or exaggerate their position for clicks. Even worse is when the luna...