5/19/2023

"Wings as Eagles" by Ron Hamilton - Mr. P. Sings Stuff - Ep. 05

 


If I hadn't made it clear by now, I've been heavily influenced by Ron Hamilton over the years as far as musical tastes are concerned. I've been slowly introducing his music to my church over the years and it's time for me to do so yet again. Well, not really "again" in this case since I've performed the song once before. If my records are correct, I purchased the backing tracks for this particular album back in March of 2021, so it's been close to two years since I first started. I've only been able to do a few of them given the special music rotation and I haven't done that many specials since purchasing this selection of tracks as well as another album. Anyway, I digress. This is probably another of the most famous of Ron's works among those who are familiar with his ministry. This and "Rejoice in the Lord" also feature in the same audio drama, "The Misterslippi River Race".

The song itself is based off of two key passages. The name of the song comes directly from Isaiah 40:

Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary. (Isaiah 40:30-31 NASB2020)

Those who are true followers of God, those in whom He has placed His spirit, are frequently subjected to numerous trials in life, many times at our own doing. Often we bring trouble on ourselves because of our propensity to sin and do the opposite of what God directs us to do through His word (James 1:13-15). However, there are those times when God puts us through trials and testing, not to punish us but to purify us and to strengthen our faith by forcing us to realize that there is a reason we need to rely on Him in the first place. Again, this is something James writes about in his epistle, directly before the above referenced passage:

Consider it all joy, my brothers and sisters, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4 NASB2020)

Incidentally, Paul says something very similar in his letter to Rome:

And not only this, but we also celebrate in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us. (Romans 5:3-5 NASB2020)

So, the idea is that there are things that we go through in life that cause us to become worn out. We want to throw in the towel and give up. However, it is when we throw ourselves onto the goodness of God and rely on Him, that He enables us to persevere with a strength that does not come from ourselves. Not by coincidence does this perfectly dovetail into the second passage upon which this song is based:

Therefore, since we also have such a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let’s rid ourselves of every obstacle and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let’s run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking only at Jesus, the originator and perfecter of the faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2 NASB2020)

What else did Christ do but live the human life for us by relying solely on the Father? Christ said as much in the book of John:

I can do nothing on My own. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of Him who sent Me. (John 5:30 NASB2020)

So Jesus said, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am, and I do nothing on My own, but I say these things as the Father instructed Me. And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him. (John 8:28-29 NASB2020)

Christ's doing nothing on His own was not because He lacked the ability to do anything in and of Himself. He was, in fact, the God-man, God incarnate. Christ lost none of His divinity when He inhabited human flesh. Instead, He laid aside the voluntary use of His divine attributes, submitting Himself entirely to the will of the Father. This is what Paul spoke of in Philippians 2 when he wrote to Philippi and discussed Christ's voluntary humiliation (Philippians 2:5-11). So, if we ever feel run down or burnt out when it comes to following in obedience or that the costs aren't worth the rewards, we mustn't forget the words of Isaiah or the apostles, and certainly not the example of Christ our Lord. He modeled the behavior for us so if we ever need to know how to handle a situation, we need look nowhere else but to His perfect example for us. In doing so, we find that the only option is to rely on God who will give us the strength to persevere, lifting us up on wings as eagles.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement for today Mr. P!
    I love all of your scriptural references.
    I hope that you are teaching somewhere, even a sunday school class at church!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! Glad to know it was helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Silent Hill 2 Remake is Woke!": Gamers Flip out Again due to Lack of Balance and Objectivity - Mr. P Talks about Stuff Ep. 01

  Nothing aggravates me more than seeing people on my side misrepresent or exaggerate their position for clicks. Even worse is when the luna...